1. Tell us your name and where you are from?
Hi! I am Sharlene aka Coily Mystic, and I am from California.
2. How would you describe your personal fashion style?
My style is constantly changing, but I can describe my style as a blend of influence from Afrobeat fashion mixed with hippy, with a dash of 80′s influence. I enjoy being able to mix all of those attributes into my everyday outfits.
3. What do you do? Is there a resistance or compatibility with your hair in your field of work?
As of now I am an art student and the co-owner of the online jewelry store Zoe Love.To be honest there is no resistance to my hair on my campus, If anything they love my curly tresses!
4. What is the strangest request, comment or style story?
The strangest time that I was caught in a ” hair moment” would be when half of the people in my class asked me if they could touch the tips of my hair. I had a strong feeling that someone was going to ask me because I could FEEL them staring at me. They were giving me this curious George look like they wanted to ask about my hair but was afraid of how I would react. It was weird yet cute how infatuated they were with my afro.
5. When it comes to your style who, what or where does your inspiration come from?
My inspiration for my style stems from influence of Grace Jones, Fela’s wives, the female emcee’s of the 80′s, and all things from the 60′s and 70′s.
6. What would you say to others who judge individuals negatively for their personal fashion style?
For those who judge others harshly for their fashion sense, I believe that they judge because their self esteem is too low to have the courage to wear what they want to wear due to fear of ridicule. I mean some people might think that your outfit is a bit outlandish and bizarre, but when it all comes down to it the way you choose to express yourself in fashion is what suits you and makes you happy, not what suits the world. If we all choose to live our lives by the opinion of someone else, we would be lifeless zombies.
7. What advice would you give to people who might be afraid to show their true fashion for fear of being judged by others?
I would say you only have one life on this earth and if you allow someone else to dictate how you choose to live your life and express what god has given you then it is a life wasted. Because you can only be “you.” And if people don’t like it then they can piss off.
8. Do you have a blog/website?
9. Anything else?
Nope nothing else.
10. What makes you an Urban Bush Babe?
What makes me an Urban Bush Babe would be that I stay true to myself and I am strictly roots.